Elvaston Castle & Gardens Trust
Creating Elvaston Castle & Gardens Charitable Trust
Elvaston Castle Estate is a much loved community asset owned by Derbyshire County Council. It is situated between Derby and Nottingham and attracts over 350,000 visitors every year, enjoying its nationally important gardens and historic buildings. Elvaston has lots of potential but requires investment and a new approach to secure its future, one that protects its value for people and heritage whilst developing financial sustainability.
Working with the local community and other stakeholders we have developed an exciting Vision for the future of Elvaston, which we believe can best be delivered by transferring the Estate to a new managing body, the Elvaston Castle & Gardens Trust.
Trustees will be involved in creating and building the Elvaston Castle and Gardens Trust into an effective charity to work collaboratively with Derbyshire County Council. Work in the early years will include:
- Finalising a draft 3 year business plan for the new Trust
- Working with the Council to undertake detailed master-planning for the Estate’s regeneration and associated capital programme
- Shaping an emerging fund-raising strategy and working with the Council to secure major funding to implement the first phases of the master-plan
- Identifying, shaping and implementing new commercial initiatives and opportunities
- Subject to funding, recruiting a Project Development Officer to support the early development of Trust
Trustees will also be involved in planning how and when the proposed long lease transfer of the Estate and staff takes place, so that the Trust and Elvaston has the best chance of long-term success.
The deadline for applications to become a trustee for Elvaston Castle & Gardens Trust has now passed. However, if you're interested in understanding more about the role of Trustee, go to:
Interviews will be held in January 2017 and an update will be provided once the outcome of the interviews is known. It is hoped to have the Trust up and running by spring 2017.
For further information in the meantime, please contact Nick Sellwood on 07876 591932 or email@example.com
The National Trust has been engaged by Derbyshire County Council to co-ordinate the recruitment process but this does not imply any long term role in the management of the Elvaston Estate.